Steps for Changing a Flat Tire
It’s inevitable that we’ll all get a flat tire sooner or later and there may be a time you have to change it yourself. Don’t let changing a flat tire intimidate you. It can be pretty easy if you follow these steps:
- Find a safe location. Looking for the closes available spot. Empty parking lots and straight stretched of road are great. Turn on your hazards.
- Take out the spare tire and the tools you need to change the tire. Besides the tire you’ll need a jack, wheel wedges, lug wrench, a flashlight with working batteries, and flares.
- Set up the flares behind your car.
- Place wheel wedges in front of or behind the tires so that the car doesn’t roll.
- Next, remove the hubcap or wheel coverings then loosen the lug nuts using the lug wrench. Do not remove them.
- Put the jack underneath the car and expand it about 6″ off the ground.
- Now you can unscrew and remove the lug nuts.
- Remove the flat tire and replace with the spare.
- Replace the lug nuts and tighten by hand.
- Lower the jack until the spare touches the ground then remove the jack.
- Next you need to tighten the lug nuts with the lug wrench. Make sure they are really tight.
- Put the hubcap back on and lastly check the pressure on the spare.